Saturday, July 3, 2010

Hubble Bubble Boy!

Yesterday we unexpectedly acquired yet another puppy, his name is Hubble and he will be staying with us for a week! The poor darling was scheduled to be put to sleep yesterday at 1:00, and our rescue group was able to come to his rescue just minutes before his time. Whew! I just couldn't bare to lose him when we could do something about it, I don't know if you can tell but I've become very passionate about Legacy Boxer Rescue and everything that they stand for! So Hubble Bubble will be with us for about a week, maybe less, but he is welcome to stay as long as he needs to :) He's SUCH a sweetheart, I don't know how anyone could let this happen to such a wonderful boy- if you look closely at the pictures you can see that he's about 20-30 pounds underweight, has a horrible ear infection that spreads down the right side of his face, and is covered in scabs and wounds from trying to survive on the streets. Here are some pictures of him and updates that I've posted to the boards for our rescue group. Love love LOVE Hubble Bubble boy! :)

"The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me." - Helen Exley

Oh my goodness, we got Mr Hubble this afternoon and he is SUCH a sweetheart! I'm in love. Hubble Bubble is quite the gentleman, is a leaner for sure, cuddles like a champ, and is definitely a gentle giant! The poor thing is very underweight and covered in scabs and little wounds, but he is a LOVER! Deacon thinks he's pretty cool too and gives great kisses to everyone. So far he's been good with my pups and the only tiff we've had was because Spruces barking hurt his very infected ear :/ I've kept them separated so far, right now Hubble is in my lap and Spruce and Willow are in my room, but they're all wiggles and wags when they're in the same room. Hopefully tomorrow they can all get out and get to know each other, I just want everyone to calm down before we take it any further. I'm so glad this sweet boy was able to get out of that shelter, he is so grateful and couldn't be happier to be with us! This love bug can stay as LONG as he wants :)




Hubble Bubble is doing fabulously on his second day at our house, he's fitting right in! Last night I introduced him to Willow and they played outside in the grass for about 15 minutes, it was precious. Willow does this sprint thing where she goes full-speed like a jackrabbit to see if she can outrun and outsmart the other dog. Ha poor Hubble didn't know what to do, he just did a bunch of play-bows in a circle until he got dizzy. Then we came back inside and they snuggled on the couch for a while until bedtime, sweet Hubble slept all night long without a peep! It's obvious that he's had previous owners, I'm not really sure if he was picked up as a stray or surrendered, because Hubble is SO well mannered! He knows sit, down, shake, Willow is working on teaching him high five ;), and he walks on a leash and rides in the car like a dream! He probably wasn't allowed on the furniture at this last home, I always have to invite him up onto the couch and even then he gets very uneasy and ends up jumping back down onto the floor and laying under my feet. I don't understand how anyone could let this lovebug get away, he's just so wonderful!

This morning Scott and I took Spruce and Hubble outside and did a proper introduction, they both wiggled and wagged until I finally felt comfortable letting them get nose to nose and play. Hubble is so skinny and really doesn't have much energy at all, so he can't really play the way Spruce would like him too. He spends most of his day sleeping, and when he is awake it's just kind of bebop-ing around! After breakfast this morning we took Deacon and all the dogs to a tennis court by our apartment and let them run around for about an hour, and even though Hubble didn't do much running he had fun watching the other two and getting the opportunity to be out of the apartment. A couple times he got some air under his tail and jogged a few steps, but I didn't make him push it or do anything he didn't want to. Hubble LOVES to go bye bye and had a blast riding shotgun with Scott in the truck, Scott opened the little window in the back of the cab and Hubble got to let his ears and tongue flap in the wind :)

The only little scuffle we had all day was when Spruce wouldn't leave Hubble's rawhide alone. Spruce had his own, but for some reason he thinks he needs to taste everyone else's. At first Hubble was fine with Spruce sniffing around at his bone, I haven't noticed any food or water aggression, or any aggression at all really! Spruce has very selective hearing and chose to ignore me when I told him to leave it and Hubble gave him a warning snarl and bark. He was wagging the whole time and didn't even get up from where he was sitting, but I wanted to nip it in the bud and put both boys in their crates for a little while so they could calm down. No more rawhides unless we're in our crates! I've been feeding the dogs separately since Hubble is so thin and inhales his food I wasn't sure if he would be aggressive, but my two can sit right outside the door of his crate and sniff all they want and Hubble couldn't care less.

Hubble was also cat tested today, unintentionally of course! Scott took the dogs out front to go potty and a stray cat was walking by. Spruce, who is SUPPOSED to be cat-friendly, started barking his head off and almost pulled Scott's arm out of socket but Hubble was unphased! It may be a different situation if they were in a house and Hubble was free, but I highly doubt it- he really is a gentle giant. We also met some children while taking a walk this afternoon and Hubble was great with them, he didn't jump or get too excited at all, and he is so great with Deacon.

I'm beginning to wonder if Hubble isn't a German Boxer, we have a friend who comes to the dog park with us who has one named Rufus and they could be twins. Their head, feet, tongue, eyes, ears, and snout are all the same and very characteristic of a German Boxer. They also have very similar temperaments as neither are hyper, jumpy, and are perfectly content just hanging around! I've attached a picture of one that I found on google that I think looks JUST like Hubble. While on our walk three different people asked me if he was "a Beethoven" (he does have a very St Bernard look about him!) so I was able to tell them about him and LBR, it was really exciting! At first I was on the Beethoven bandwagon, but after looking up German Boxers I've switched trains :)

We are so enjoying having Hubble here, he is such a sweetheart! I can't wait to see what he looks like once he's all healed and ready to meet his furever family, they are going to be SO lucky! I have no doubt that he will go quickly once he's better and he will be a handsome devil! I'll keep you guys posted as our week goes on, but so far he's been wonderful! :)






A German Boxer!

No comments:

Post a Comment