Saturday, October 23, 2010

Gemini's first day at the Hensleys! :)

Sweet little Gemini is still working on getting settled here at our house, it's her first night away from her Mama and siblings so we expected it to be a little rocky at times. So far she is not a fan of the crate, I put all the dogs in their respective "houses" this evening to feed and she barked and whined the whole time. Looks like we're going to have to work on that :/ Thankfully all my neighbors in my building have either moved out or are in the process of moving out this weekend, so hopefully it won't be too bad. Tonight I will bring her crate into our bedroom and have her sleep in there with us, I expect her to whine and cry for a little bit but hopefully it won't take her too long to settle down. She's a great sleeper! First thing she did when we got home was crawl up in Scott's lap and take a power nap. Don't tell him I told you, but he's super smitten already ;) Spruce is quite fond of Gemini, he things she's pretty and tries to kiss her and follow her around as much as he can. Spruce keeps trying to curl up next to Gemini while she naps, but she wakes up, growls, and snaps at him so he hasn't gotten too close during ni-night times yet. We're working on that too, so far I've had to take a toy away and separate them once, sweet little Gemini wants to be alpha around here and she's been a little snippy at times with my two. Willow is incredibly submissive and waves the white flag when Gemini starts growling, but Spruce is fearless and doesn't understand that she is trying to tell him to leave her alone. He's had a couple time-outs today for barking at her and getting in her face when she warns him, but I'm also trying to get Gemini to be a little less testy with the big dogs. There are a lot more of them at Kim's house than mine, so she's going to have to get used to it, haha! I'm fondly calling her "Gemee-nemee-ni" and think this precious little girl is just sweet as can be. She gives great kisses and wants to curl up in your lap and bury her head in your elbow. She's been pretty good with Deacon, but she can't resist nibbling on his ears every once in a while when he least expects it. I expected her to be more jumpy with him, but she's actually very gentle and responds well to "off" when she tries to climb up his back and lick his ears. The only thing that I'm having a bit of trouble with is getting Gemini to go tee-tee outside. I'm not sure if it's the leash or what the deal is, but we can spend 30 minutes outside walking around and sniffing, but she waits until we get inside and runs back to my bathroom to do her business. When we're outside in the grass she just shakes the whole time and whines, fighting the leash the whole time. I'm in an apartment so a leash is a must, and so does well when I have a treat in my hand that I can let her smell so she will follow me, but as far as walking on her own we haven't quite mastered that yet. We've been outside over a dozen times today, so it's not that she hasn't had an opportunity to go outside, I think she's just scared to. I've both taken Willow with me and taken Gemini on her own, neither way got her to go. She has sniffed the places where the other dogs have gone potty and that doesn't help her either. Any advice? All in all it's been a good day, but I promised Kim I would work with her on tee-teeing and it's not going so well! Haha! Here are some pictures and a video from this afternoon--and yes, that is Deacon trying out Gemini's crate :)




No comments:

Post a Comment