Monday, March 14, 2011

Oh Monday...

I realize that I've yet again let my blog go for a full week, I honestly don't know where this last week has gone, we have been beyond busy. Every day something was going on, I don't think I got to sit down and breathe for more than 15 minutes at a time all week.

First thing's first, as of yesterday I'm 13 weeks pregnant and one week closer to being in my second trimester! I felt the best I have the whole pregnancy this past weekend, and then of course this morning the sickness came back with a vengeance. Thank you Monday. I'm so tired of throwing up and feeling nauseous, if I don't constantly have food in my stomach I'm puking, I can't wait for this part of the pregnancy to be over. Everyone keeps tell me that it means I'm having a girl, which would be wonderful, but I'm not holding my breath. There hasn't been a girl born into the Hensley side of the family in over 80 years, we're all married in, so if this baby turns out to be a girl it will literally be a miracle! The Chinese gender calendar says to expect a girl, and it was right about Deacon, but I'm not quite sure how much I believe in all that. Guess we'll have to see what happens in another 7 weeks, we find out the first week of May what we're having. Yay! Here's the weekly update on what's going on with Little Bean. :)

"Your baby can make a fist and even suck his or her thumb this week—both skills that are über-cute during infancy ... and not so much at the age of 9. If you're really lucky, you might catch a glimpse of baby's thumb sucking on an ultrasound photo. That's a framer! Other exciting developments include: Your baby's eyelids are fused shut to protect his eyes as they develop. His bones and skull are solidifying and soon itsy-bitsy ribs may appear. (Baby ribs! How cute is that?!) Baby's intestines are finally right where you want them—in his or her belly instead of poking out into the umbilical cord. Baby's tooth sockets are all loaded and ready to pop out baby teeth six or seven months after baby is born (causing baby a lot of pain and you a lot of lost sleep). Who's that singing? Elton John? Could be your baby: His vocal cords and larynx are completed now. Your baby-to-be now weighs about 20 grams and is nearly 3 inches long, or about the size of a Nutter Butter, covered in chocolate. OK, it doesn't have to be covered in chocolate, but isn't everything better that way?"

A week ago we had a litter of puppies born into the Boxer rescue, I was lucky enough to be able to help with the birth and am SO in love with these little guys. The white male with a brown spot on the back of his head will be our foster baby in about 7 more weeks once he's old enough to leave his Mama. The puppies have a theme to their names, the Mom's name is Sushi, the white female's name is Tuna Roll, the fawn male's name is Maki, and my sweet little white boy's name is Sake. Willow went to spend the weekend at Aunt Kathy's to have a "princess vacation" and get away from her brother for a little bit, so we took Deacon with us to pick her up last night and see the puppies. Here is my favorite picture of him and Sake, Deacon kept giving him kisses and patting him on the head, it was precious! Can you tell I'm just slightly smitten with this little puppy? :)



This past Saturday morning Spruce started his first of six weeks at a training class for adolescent puppies. I can't exactly say that it was the most positive of experiences, but I know he will get better as time goes on. I feel terrible because I set him up for disaster this first class and am still kicking myself for it. We went out on Friday night with a group of friends for our birthdays and didn't get back until really late, so the dogs were crated for about 8 hours the night before the class. Then we got home, went to bed, and woke up the next morning to head straight to the class. If you know anything about Boxers, they NEED exercise and are badly behaved if they don't get it because all of that energy is pent up and I know Spruce had too much built up that morning to focus and concentrate on anything other than playing with the other dogs. I also forgot his gentle leader, and he's a BAD puller on the leash so all he did was drag me all over the place the whole morning. The only thing that makes me feel better about the situation is that he does know the commands that she was teaching, so hopefully next week we can exercise him really well before the class and have a more positive experience for him. Poor Spruce, he's such a good boy, just needs some training and self-control. Before we adopted him, all he knew for the first 10 months of his life was a backyard, so nobody has ever spent any time with him and showed him how to be a good dog. He'll get there, it's just going to take a lot of work and consistency from Scott and me.



Yesterday morning I took our Boxer foster Diamond to the Dallas Stars hockey game where they were having a huge rescue event before the game to raise money and awareness for rescue dogs in the Dallas area. It was a really fun event and Diamond was very well behaved, she had a lot of admirers and was so sweet to everyone she met. I love talking to people about deaf dogs and how rewarding it is to have them as a part of your life. If she wasn't a girl I would absolutely do whatever it takes to keep her, she's just the sweetest little girl and SO smart. When she first came to us she knew absolutely no signs, and now I can incorporate about a dozen different ones into our daily life and she responds to them. Diamond wants to please us so badly and soaks up every bit of attention she gets, I can't wait to meet her forever family, they will be so incredibly lucky to call my girl their own for the rest of her precious little life. Here is a funny picture of her from yesterday's event, she kept jumping into my chair and sitting up like a person, it was hilarious!



My nakey boy Knight is at the vet today getting his second dose of Promeris for his mange, please keep him in your prayers over the next couple of days as he recovers from the medication. It makes him loopy, cranky, and it's pretty painful. The last dose he had two weeks ago was heartbreaking, he just wanted to hide in a corner of the kitchen in a dog bed where nobody could get to him so he could sleep for two days. His skin is much better this time around and he's sprouting lots of hair, so hopefully since his condition is improving it won't be as traumatic this time. I took this picture of him yesterday, you can see the hair on his chest that is new as of last week. It's been very rewarding to see him heal and progress through this terrible and completely preventable condition.



Deacon is such a fun little boy, I absolutely love being his Mom. We have so much fun together playing with blocks, cars, puzzles, riding in the wagon, and going to the park when the weather is nice. He loves Chik-Fil-A so we try to go once a week and take it to the park and have a picnic and play on the slide. Every day he looks bigger and more like a little boy, he's a such a fun age but at the same time I miss him being my itty bitty baby that would snuggle with me. He's not much of a cuddler, but gives the best hugs and has started blowing kisses. He knows where his eyes, ears, nose, tongue, toes, and belly are, it's always hilarious to see him lift up his shirt to complete strangers to show them where his belly button is. :) Deacon says Mama, Dada, Woo (Willow), ni-night, baby, tickle tickle, and when you ask what a puppy says he will yell "BOO-WOO-WOO!" I signed him up for pre-school last week, starting in September he will be in a class Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9-2. I struggled with whether or not to send him for a while, but after seeing him interact with other kids and how much fun he has playing with people other than me (haha) I knew he would really enjoy it. I think it will be nice to have two days a week to spend with Little Bean too so I can have a little bit of a break. The timing should work out nicely when he starts, once his little brother or sister is born he will have a week or two to spend with family that will come visit and then school will start, so hopefully he will feel included and it can just be a big ole party for my Deac-man. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment